Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A day remembered.

Today is September 11. I keep thinking about this day in 2001. I was at work as a customer service phone person. I had to call people and ask if they were interested in receiving a free catalog. Some people were normal that day, but others would yell at me, asking me how I could ask this silly question, when WW III had started today. I was 17 years old. I don't know about you, but at 17, I had no clue of politics, let alone politics in a different country.
One year later, I arrived in the USA just a few days before the first anniversary of 9/11, everybody was tense, nobody knew what would happen, how flying would be. It was scary.

Over the last ten years I have learned that I came to this country after it had changed. 9/11 changed America, made it more vulnerable. People didn't feel so confident anymore. Security at airports doubled every year. But the economy changed too. I came to this country at the height of the economy I think. House prices were high, DH had a great job, great benefits, great pay. And I think of 9/11 as a start to the downfall that we are working ourselves out of now. And by we, I mean DH and I, but also the American people. 

Here is to America, my home. I am sad I never got the know the country before 9/11. From all I have heard it must have been amazing. I hope this country can get back to it. Taking care of its people. Making sure everybody who wants a job, can get a good job. Pay off debt. Nationally, but also just at home. Debt is awful. I am trying to teach my kids, but also my step children how awful it is to have to pay banks back over and over. I know sometimes people have to make their own mistakes to learn from them, like DH and I are doing at the moment, but I hope to spare all our kids this lesson. It sucks.

Here is to all the people who have been affected by 9/11. To people who lost somebody that day, or any day after because of this day. To the people that helped that day. The firefighters responding to this act of terror.

11 comments:

  1. It was a great country before 9/11. It is still a great country but there are definite changes some good some not so good.

    I honor the sacrifices of all those who have made this country great. I thank them and am grateful for their unselfishness.

    Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting perspective, Julia, to have made the US your home right after all of the changes caused by 9/11. I don't know that we can ever go back, but I hope and believe that we can move forward and be even stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! This is what the election this year is all about. It is going to change America, we just don't know in which direction just yet!

      Delete
  3. i've visited a few times, but never lived there. and i've never been back to the US after that day... not even for a holiday. financial situation just wouldn't permit it. you were talking about debt?

    well. yes. i'm living a mistake that i'm trying to get myself out of. slowly, but surely. i would love to visit the states again someday... hopefully.

    thanks for this post. most touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this country! I feel like I was meant to be here, I still enjoy speaking English everyday, and don't actually like speaking German that much. Isn't that weird?

      Delete
  4. It's interesting that someone who didn't live here before 9-11 can still somehow know that things have changed here. Yes, they have. Dramatically. This was a very free country before what happened. Rather relaxed. Laid back. Now everything is tight, from having to be searched to go to a theme park, to the government telling us how much soda pop we're allowed to drink. I miss my country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! That is how I have noticed, by people telling me that it wasn't always like it. By people telling me that one could go to a fair without having one's purse searched. I mean, how in the world is that okay?

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your story, Julia. It is interesting to get another perspective, one from someone who wasn't in the US when it happened. I remember the day vividly. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julia, I thought I posted earlier, but I must have done something wrong.
    I
    It is so important to remember the people whose lives were forever changed or abruptly ended that terrible day. And it is hard to find something positive to glean from the ruins that stretched across the oceans.
    I guess I try to hold unto the need for us to always seek peace with our neighbours everywhere. I try to remember and be cognizant that it is not just the role of our governments, but our individual responsibility, each of us.
    Thanks for the tribute and the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that by raising our children to embrace difference, and never live with prejudice, we can create a better world where the beginning of peace among us all will grow.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and would love to hear from you!