Monday, December 24, 2012

Frohe Weihnachten!


As you all know, I am in Germany right now, and figured I would just celebrate as we do here. Therefore, Christmas is on Christmas Eve, on Christmas Day, and on the second Christmas Day as well. 
We celebrate Christmas on the evening of the 24th. Usually we have a very special dinner with family, then send the children in a different room while we get the presents out, and then we gather in the family room and exchange gifts. 
I love doing gifts with my family, usually this is a slow process because we all want to see who gave what to whom. I like that. I like the slowness of it all. Makes you really appreciated every moment.

For my family, this is mostly it. We don't have extended family, and don't celebrate more, but other families usually go see their relatives over the next few days. 
The 25th and the 26th are a holiday, shops close early on the 24th, and nothing is open on the 25th and 26th, making this a terrible thing when it falls just wrong on the weekdays. Sundays are still closed days in Germany as well, therefore if Christmas eve falls on a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday are closed as well.


Anyway. I hope you all have a fantastic day. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays! Or simply just relax and enjoy the craziness! 

5 comments:

  1. The pictures are wonderful. Thank you for sharing. It all sounds wonderful. I wish you and yours a great time and a very happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frohe Weihnachten to you as well. I understand about shops being closed for 2 days, we have the same thing here in the Netherlands. Although I have one advantage: with all the Turkish and Moroccan shops in my neighbourhood, not all shopkeepers can be bothered with closing during Christmas.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas in Germany sounds wonderful :)
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    MrBB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures. Merry Christmas to you all!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and would love to hear from you!