Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Writing it Down

Hi, DH here!  Thanks for all your nice comments on our anniversary!  We had a really nice evening with the kids, and managed to have sex before falling asleep, which was pretty good for a Wednesday!  But our main event, which we've been looking forward to all year, is "our weekend:"  the kids will go to my Sister's, my son will go Somewhere Else, and Julia and I will be all alone.  Last year, we stayed in Seattle for our anniversary.  We had a nice room, but we both felt that it lacked privacy for what we (ahem) really wanted to do.  We LOVED our time together, but ultimately, we wished, we had been.... home.

I've been working on writing a story.  I've published little snippets here, and here, and I've really enjoyed putting some thought and imagination into a real tale about spanking.   I like imagining real-life situations where spanking could have a place.  And then imagining what that spanking would look like.

Julia and I have been watching the show Buying Alaska, and we are still not sure what those people do in their dry cabins all winter.  Until I watched this show, I did not know what a dry cabin is.  It became a little sad as we watched episodes to see prospective home-buyers ooo and ahh over a fully loaded kitchen, only to find a bucket under the sink.  A deal can hinge on whether or not the outhouse has a piece of styrofoam on the seat, because in many of these homes, the outhouse is the bathroom.  And it's outside.  We talked it over, and Julia and I decided that going without hot showers was a deal-breaker for both of us.

But!  Maybe we're just not "getting it."  Maybe there's a lot to do without internet, with 10 feet of snow literally barricading you inside, and the next "bath" is going to be in the river during the Spring thaw.  Maybe we're just not using our imaginations.  Admittedly, Julia and I are not really the "roughing it" types.  We like (car) camping, and I'm thinking that we might for a hike this year, as long as we don't stray too far from civilization.  Or Starbucks.  However, we've also skated pretty close to losing our house in the Great Recession.  We've talked about what it would be like to have to really survive a disaster.  So maybe a cabin in the woods isn't so far out of the realm What Could Happen.

In the spirit of writing more, I think it would be fun to write a Dry Cabin story, right here on the blog!  I'll kick it off - Julia might contribute too.  Sound fun?  ;)

The Cabin in the Woods (Fiction)

Dave gunned the Arctic Cat as he took the small hill.  The snowmobile fishtailed as the sled he was pulling briefly canted to one side.  He felt Jennifer's hands tighten on his waist as the sled straightened out and they crested the hill.  He was painfully aware of the fading light and he was pushing his equipment to the limit.  He reckoned they had about 3 more miles to cover before they made the safety of his garage.  His 2-story log cabin was on the  Chatanika River outside of Fairbanks, Alaska.  It was only accessible by snow machine this time of year, but his small fishing boat stood ready for summer.  It was capable of making the trip to Fairbanks in a pinch as well.

The temperature was dropping quickly as Dave opened the throttle, speeding the Yamaha through a straightaway.  Last night's snow had only been a few inches, and the powder was easy to push through.  His mind jumped ahead to the tasks of securing the cabin and getting his new bride situated in their home.  His loins stirred as he thought about how he would take her that night.  He got too close to a tree on the right side of the trail, and had to correctly quickly.  He silently cursed himself, banishing all thoughts of fun from his mind in favor of the task at hand.  He slowed the machine as they paralleled the river on their right side, and then his cabin hove into view, dark and silent in the twilight.  


12 comments:

  1. I like the beginning of your story. I don't know if I could live in a dry cabin with all my kids. If it was just me and Ty, for a short time, I would love it. I could even handle the bathroom thing for a short time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even want to imagine living in a dry cabin with anyone except DH. Gosh, that would be a lot of work, with kids, dogs, snow, wildlife.
      Now, just seeing this as a finally alone situation though, my imagination is going wild, lol!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Blondie! Yeah, I don't think kids would work either. None of the couples we've seen had kids, with the exception of one family, but they were buying a pretty big property. :)

      Delete
  2. i like the idea of being stuck in a dry cabin with my master, nobody else around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound very tempting when one never has any privacy otherwise for any length of time. :)

      Delete
    2. I like the idea of being alone with Julia too! Somehow.... :)

      Delete
  3. This was wonderful DH. I definitely want to read more of this story! You do have a talent for writing :)

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does, he is a great storyteller too. And when his work gets published, he should do the audiobook version too. Lol. I might be biased.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Roz! I really like writing, especially about ttwd. :) Julia had a great idea for modifying my "dry cabin" story premise - maybe make it like a couples retreat for people that are 'having trouble'...stay tuned!

      Delete
  4. I love that show, it's fun to imagine living with no neighbors but I would hate the winters in a dry cabin.

    Your story sounds great so far!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching the show because no other show has ever jumpstarted my fantasy as quickly as that one, lol.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Kimberly! Yeah, I think the isolation, darkness, and cold would be hard to handle. It makes me think that people that DO like it are made of tougher stuff than I am, lol!

      Delete

I love reading comments, and would love to hear from you!