Thursday, November 13, 2014

50

Thank you all for your birthday wishes on Julia's post!  I was happy to have SO MANY birthday wishes on my birthday!  I was complaining to Julia this morning that we had fallen short of celebrating my 50th birthday in Hawaii, but she reminded me of what's important: celebrating my birthday with the people who love me.  Besides, Hawaii will be JUST as fun when I'm 100.  Or 150.  :)

You know how some days are bigger than you are?  Or at least, bigger than your plans were?  Today is like that.  I was all set to write a post about three things I was going to do on my birthday.  But fate has intervened.

Last night a massive storm ripped through Washington.  It was super windy, and the temperatures dropped to below freezing for the first time this Fall.  Transformers started blowing everywhere with trees down (some crashing through houses), and we lost power at 8PM.  60-mile-an-hour winds buffeted our house so hard, our girls soon came into our bedroom.  We spend the night all huddled together in our bed.

This morning, we woke to no power, and a very chilly indoor temp.  I went to the nearby 7-11 which, not surprisingly, was lit up like a Christmas tree, and got coffee and donuts for all of us.  I also developed a plan for keeping our power on: the power (f)utility obviously defers to BUSINESSES before HOMES (stupid - who will the businesses sell to when we’re all frozen to death?), so I’m going to build a 7-11 facade for my house.  We’ll be the only house in the neighborhood with power!

Here's hoping the power comes back on soon.  And maybe I can convince Julia that a 50-swat spanking still counts, even after my birthday.  

16 comments:

  1. Hi DH, oh gosh, I'm sorry about the storm and lack of power and hope it didn't put a complete dampener on your day. I hope power is restored soon. Love your 7 - 11 facade idea lol. Belated birthday spankings do count :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roz - thanks! I did kind of let it dampen my day, but we went out for dinner and had a great time, and as Julia says below, we got the power back overnight. Yay! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh...it was a memorable day....Hope power is back soon....
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how I was trying to get him to see it too. And it did come back on in the middle of the night.

      Delete
  3. Like your 7-11 idea - will you have neon lights too and the latest offers lit up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And roller food, mini-cigars, cash machines that don't work... :)

      Delete
  4. Hi DH...how nice of Mother Nature to mark your birthday but how mean of her to mark it so violently. Good idea regarding the facade idea. Hope your power is back on soon....until then...stay warm!

    Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat! Yep, definitely a memorable birthday heh! Just not what I had in mind, lol. But the power is back on, we're warm and dry, and already forgetting what it feels like to live without power. :)

      Delete
  5. I didn't get round to all blogs yesterday so happy LOL day and happy birthday.
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janey! It was a very happy birthday in the end. ;)

      Delete
  6. OOPS! So sorry I missed DH's birthday. And such a biggie! Happy birthday a little late!

    We saw our first snow here this morning (near Raleigh, NC). No wind though, fortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, snow...
      Did you go on your little trip? Was it a concert?

      Delete
    2. Hi rednakedy - yep, a biggie, lol! Thank you! Wow, snow already! We got the lights back on here, but it's still cold.

      Delete
    3. Yep. Our snow only lasted a few minutes and the ground was too warm to stick. VERY early for us though. I hope that isn't an indication of what we're in for this winter!

      Delete
  7. missed your birthday cos i haven't been around, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! better late than never eh?

    and yuck to no power. that must have sucked. I'm happy to be back. gimme a little while to catch up on everyone's posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fondles! Yep, it's never too late! ;) Yeah, the no power thing was not awesome, but we did make the best of it. :)

      Delete

I love reading comments, and would love to hear from you!