Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Rejected

Hi!  DH here!  I’m writing a post to report that the story I’ve written in the category of erotica/spanking was rejected by the publisher I sent it to.  Julia has been very supportive (and even some of you readers ahead of time) and I know that one rejection doesn’t paint the whole barn, as it were.  In fact, the publisher was very clear that they felt that my story lacked the elements make best-sellers for them.  My story doesn’t have what they are specifically looking for to publish, despite what other positive attributes it might have.  I get it.

But rejection still stings.

As the new year started, I told Julia I would develop a Plan B in case my story didn’t start an immediate bidding war between publishers, which is to publish the story right here on the blog!  I can even get feedback about what people like (or dislike) about my stories in the comments for each post.  I want to put an editorial section at the end of each post of the story (chapter?) that invites feedback, like the narrative in the Dukes of Hazzard.  You know, when the Balladeer (played by Waylon Jennings) makes a little editorial comment right before the commercial break that sets up mini-cliff-hanger?  Like in 1981’s Diamonds in the Rough episode, where the Balladeer says (and I’m not making this up):

The Balladeer: [as Lisa leads Bo and Luke out of the house at gunpoint] You know, that little lady needs a good spanking.

Hooo Wee!

In preparation for submitting my story to the publisher, I wrote a blurb for my story, which I’ll share with you right here.  Julia and I will link all these story-related posts together somehow, but I really want to publish each chapter as a serial, to make it fun.  So, without further ado, here is the blurb for my (not-yet-published) story, Red Bottoms Espresso: Hannah’s Beginning.

As a child of the Great Recession, Hannah has known a hard life.  A high school dropout at 18, she’s desperate to find work when an online ad catches her eye for an unusual employment opportunity.  Daring to respond, she discovers that the job is working in a “bikini” coffee stand as a sexy barista.

Hannah quickly discovers that her new employer is serious about the name of his coffee stand, Red Bottoms Espresso - he regularly spanks the girls before their shifts!  Hannah is shocked to discover that he expects her to call him Daddy, and that the spankings are real.

Dan is skeptical that his new recruit will make it though the training period to become a barista.  He needs to find out if she is a true submissive, as that’s the only way she will be happy working for the unapologetically dominant male he is.  To discover the truth of Hannah, he applies the only tools he knows to perform the job: Frequent, hard spankings.

What do you think?  Would you read this story if you saw it on Amazon?  My next task is coming up with some kind of cover art, heh.  I hope Julia can help... :-D


14 comments:

  1. We all look for different things when we choose our erotic reading. For me I just can't do the "daddy" thing. On the other hand I read blogs that use that dynamic. I don't want to judge anyone else's way. We all do what fits us. But coming from my comfort level that term would send me to the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clara! Thanks for your comment! That is very excellent feedback. How do the DOMs in the stories you like to read prefer to be addressed? Is it Sir? No title? I struggled with this question as I was writing my story, and "Daddy" seemed to fit my character's personality, but I think "Sir" might have fit too. I'm not sure about what other titles people use, to be honest, or even if that's a common practice in the ttwd community...

      Delete
  2. The blurb is intriguing. I'd be interested in reading it (as long as it's affordable, lol)
    So my thoughts are - ff it's a short story, I don't mind how they get to spanking - it's erotic. But if it's a longer story, I think I like it better when the spanker sees something special in the spankee, and there is a relationship growing between them.
    And I don't mind Daddy - I think it implies a loving motive behind the spankings somehow. I think Sir puts a bit of distance between the two people. But I know that there needs to be a way of showing that respect that is due to the Dom.
    We don't use titles in our real life relationship, but I do love seeing them in books.
    :) Cali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cali Mom! Thank you very much for your comment - yes to affordable, I'm going to publish the whole thing right here, heh. And I agree in the dynamic between the dom and sub in the story, which adds good tension to the story. I like Daddy for the very reason you say - the hero of our story really believes in helping young women reach their full potential. Thanks for your feedback, it really helps. :)

      Delete
  3. I think I would have to read a little more, but the premise sounds a little too far out there for me. I am with Clara, I'm not fond of the Daddy thing ( especially since there will be other baristas involved) and have a tendency not too read much age-play but hey different stokes for different folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think using the name Daddy is really casting this blurp into an age-play thing, which it really isn't. But I think both Leigh, and Clara have brought up excellent points, just from reading the blurb. Thanks for your input guys. :)

      Delete
  4. I think would be less likely to read it because I tend to like there to be a relationship before the spanking starts. To have a young woman start at a job and before she even knows the boss, she is supposed to call him Daddy and submit to a spanking probably isn't something I would read. In my mind, spanking is intimate, even if it isn't sexual and he needs to win her trust and consent because of a relationship rather than a need to have a job. I'm not sure if that helps or not, but take what you need and leave the rest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cygnet - thank you for your feedback! And, I totally see your point: An intimate spanking _does_ require trust and consent! :)

      Delete
  5. Hi DH, I'm sorry the publisher didn't pick up your book. I too prefer there to be a relationship or connection between the parties. The blurb does sound interesting though.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roz! Thanks, yeah, rejection is never fun, heh. Reminds me of my job search during the Recession. Bada bum. And yes to the connection, I totally agree. :) Thanks for your feedback!

      Delete
  6. The blurb sounds great & I would absolutely buy it from reading that. I personally think employer / employee scenarios are hot. A lot of readers want a romance though and that is probably your fatal flaw here. Which publisher rejected you? After you receive feedback here you may consider self publishing your next story to Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corinne! Thanks for your feedback! The publisher was Blushing Books and they said the romantic element was missing for them too. I do intend to self publish as you recommend after putting it out here first. :)

      Delete
  7. If the writer cannot hook an editor in the first paragraph, the manuscript is likely rejected without being read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous - thanks! That is excellent feedback. I am sure this is true, although in this particular case, I think I got far enough in their process to have my whole story read; the editor said he was "sending it to a reader" after I submitted it. But who knows, maybe that's what they tell all the writers, heheh. ;)

      Delete

I love reading comments, and would love to hear from you!