Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Not Good Enough For Space

Hi, DH here.  You know how every once in a while, you get a wake-up call?  I had one of those yesterday.  An old recruiter friend of mine hit me up on linkedin and asked me to interview at the company he just started working for, whose goal is space tourism.  Basically, my fantasy job.  I’ve been fascinated by all things space since I can remember. The Apollo missions?  I was on the edge of my seat as a 4-year-old.  The demotion of Pluto?  Yeah, I cried.  The missions to Mars?  I can’t look away.  Space… tourism?  Yeah!  The United States once had a mission to boldly go out there, but I think greed and corruption took the wind out of THOSE (space) sails.  Or, I guess it’s possible that the human race has just naturally lost its curiosity about things not of this world, and has decided that good old planet Earth is all we need.

Yeah, I don’t buy that either.

Private industry to the rescue!  The players all tend to be rich dudes*, of course, with an eye to getting richer through making space available to the masses.  Awesome!  My dream was to join one of these organizations as a software tester and chase my dream into the stars.  Talk about employee discount, right?

Yeah.

I had my interview for an un-named position at a location I can’t disclose and… no call back.  I know the interviewer personally so that is a bad sign.  Plus, I really didn’t think I did very well during the interview.  I wasn’t counting on answering coding questions, which I don’t do very well on a piece of paper, but ask they did.  My performance just wasn’t good enough.  Julia can tell you I struggle with interviews.  Now I’m wondering if I’m even good enough for the job I currently hold.  And even if I am, I’m still wondering if/when/why they haven’t/won’t get back to me.
You know?

Oh well.  Here’s my inspiration for wanting to have a space job in the first place.



*I don’t know of any women who are privately funding space exploration/mining/touring companies.  Please correct me if I’m wrong.  ;)

11 comments:

  1. I still think you might hear from them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sweety. Yeah, maybe tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep thinking positively DH and your dream job might come true. Reach for the stars! Good luck!
    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi DH, ugh, some people just struggle with interviews, not matter how much they know their stuff. I know I do.

    I'm with Lindy, keep reaching for the stars :) Hopefully you may still hear from them.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there...and dream and reach for those stars...there is one just waiting for you..
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a follow up call by you explaining you didn't feel like you did your best and would lke another opportunity wouldn't be out of the question. It couldn't hurt.

    In either case, do not get down on yourself. You ARE doing your current job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi DH, who needs a job in space travel anyway? And you must be good enough to do the job you have, You are doing it!! Isn't there a spanking rule about not doing yourself down? Just saying.....
    love Jan,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Jan, I would get in trouble for putting myself down. This is usually when I start to smack his butt walking by him. :D

      Delete
  8. How exciting! And then disappointing! Except that they may still call! It's easy to be impatient, being patient is definitely more difficult, especially when it's something we really want. In the meantime, it does no good to be down on yourself. Btw, my dad worked on several Apollo capsules. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi DH, I am sorry about the interview, however couldn't it be too early to be disappointed? Maybe the company just needs a while. Wishing you the best of luck ... and Jan is right about the spanking rule for sure. :)

    hugs

    Nina

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and would love to hear from you!