Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Great Online Cookie Exchange Extravaganza!


My Family's Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies!



1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (120 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) (115 grams) unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch (1cm) pieces
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups (175 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt or 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt (Deb option)
1 1/2 cups (200 grams) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup (130 grams) walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped

Start by toasting/roasting the chopped walnuts in a pan. Let them cool (otherwise everything is super melty, still yum, but not as good).

Preheat to 350F (170C?). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Beat the sugars and butters together until smooth. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda.
Stir together the flour and salt, then mix them into the batter. Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts.
Scoop the cookie dough into 2-tablespoon (5cm) balls and place 8 balls, spaced 4 inches (10cm) apart, on each of the baking sheets.
Bake for 16 minutes, or until pale golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

I found this recipe at: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/01/chocolate-chip-cookies/  

Just as a disclaimer, this is not my recipe, I just love it and I am sharing the cookie joy!
And speaking of sharing the cookie joy, here is the list of everybody participating in
The Great Online Cookie Exchange Extravaganza:


Bleu (private blog, also posted here)
little monkey (private blog, also posted here)

22 comments:

  1. love pecans...even better with chocolate...definitely will try these...thank you for sharing...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love smitten kitchen! I baked a blueberry crumb cake from there, it was awesome.

    Chocolate chip cookies are a regular over here but we don't toast the nuts because the thought never crossed my mind. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misty,

      Honestly, I had never toasted nuts before either, and the first time I did, I just dumped them right in and the whole dough turned chocolatey. Still good, but I know better now.
      And its so worth it, the flavor of the toasted nuts is just perfect in these.

      Delete
  3. Julia,

    I've never toasted nuts to add to a cookie, interesting. Have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ronnie,
      the toasting is what makes these soo good!

      Delete
  4. Hi Julia, I'll definitely try this, sounds too delicious!

    hugs

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  5. chocolate chip cookies are always a favorite! :-) thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) To me there is nothing more American, except for maybe DH, than chocolate chip cookies.

      Delete
  6. Really, one can never have too many chocolate chip cookie recipes.
    Because there's no such thing as too many chocolate chip cookies!

    These look quite tasty, indeed. :-)

    Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Jz, and thank you so much for organizing this all. Very fun!

      Delete
  7. I love chocolate chip cookies and I agree with Jz...can never have too many recipes. This one looks especially good as I love walnuts! Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you love walnuts, you will LOVE these!

      Delete
  8. Sounds absolutely yummy. I'd have to leave out the nuts for our family gathering. We have too many nut allergies. Otherwise I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minelle,
      Let me know how they are without the nuts, I have never made these ones without them, but has to be good too, I am sure of it!

      Delete
  9. Sounds delightful Julia and extra good having nuts. thanks for sharing.
    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, thanks for stopping by lindy, and helping me get started in participating!

      Delete
  10. Hi Julia, I absolutely love chocolate chip cookies! This sounds fantastic, especially with the nuts. Thank you for sharing :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes you just gotta stick with the classics. The pecans are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate chip cookies! One of the few cookies I will make on and off throughout the year. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, and would love to hear from you!